Friday, May 31, 2013

Habits

“It might be dangerous for you to have too much time to write. I mean if you took off a year and had nothing else to do but write and weren’t used to doing it all the time then you might get discouraged.”

Flannery O’Connor, The Habit of Being

I want to clarify that I am not taking a year off to write. I have several day jobs that fortunately don’t require me to be in a particular place at a particular time, leaving me with far more freedom that many other writers with day jobs. Still, the daily work has to be done. I write textbooks and newsletters as my bread and butter along with teaching the ins and outs of business law to undergraduate students. Plus, I run a small e-press that includes a literary magazine and work by emerging writers like J. Calvin Pierce, Adrienne Terrell Washington and John Pistelli, among others.

What I will be doing is setting aside the two hours O’Connor could devote to writing every day for the more creative projects - especially my WWI occupation saga based on family stories told during my childhood in post-war Norway. Those hours will be in full swing as soon as the relocation is complete. For now, as we prepare for the move, writing time is about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment